Thursday, October 7, 2010

Field Trip! Independence Day, 1996



Apparently, one of the signs you're getting old is when a movie you saw in the theater plays on Turner Classic. I had this happen to me recently when they showed The Last of the Mohicans. I've heard more of this from my parents. Anyway, Independence Day isn't playing on Turner Classic yet but wait for it.

The film is a symbol of a simpler time. Back in 1996 when Will Smith was just a TV actor and blowing up the White House wasn't actually something people were trying to do. It's reminiscent of the great disaster films of the 1970s and features a huge cast: Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Vivica Fox, Randy Quaid, Judd Hirsch, Brent Spiner, that girl who plays Anne on Arrested Development and of course, Bill Pullman as the president, back when fake presidents were still only white guys. Roland Emmerich directed the film and came up with the idea while doing press for Stargate. He and his partner apparently wrote it during a month-long vacation in Mexico which pisses me off for a few reasons. The film was epic, the marketing was epic, the hype was epic, one of the first summer movies to have a Super Bowl commercial. If you didn't see it, I don't know where you were during the summer of 1996. This film was destined to become a Fourth of July ritual. Come on, I live in Texas. It's freaking a hundred degrees in July.

I remember when I first saw this movie. I was thirteen, I lived in a smallish town and could not freaking wait to see this movie. Some of you may recall it came out July 2nd. What I really remember besides how awesome I thought it was is that it took thirteen days for me to get to see it because every time my mom or dad went to buy tickets they were sold out. Thirteen days! That's like the Cuban Missile Crisis!

Why bring this up? I don't know if you have ever been obviously but Austin, Texas is home to one of the most magical places on Earth the Alamo Drafthouse, commonly known as the Drafthouse. The Drafthouse is a movie theater but that description hardly does it justice. It is a movie theater where you are served awesome food at your seat, not just popcorn, but I do think they make the best popcorn. It is also notable for its programming, not just movies but events like The Lord of the Rings feast which they are known for (you eat when the hobbits eat in all three films) and things like a Moulin Rouge singalong. They are also home to Master Pancake a performing troupe that mocks well known movies, with a running commentary during the film and a mid-film sketch. It is hilarious. Anyway, not too long ago Master Pancake mocked Independence Day as part of Fantastic Fest and their special guest was Bill Pullman! President Whitmore with the speech! I almost didn't get tickets but I prevailed. It was amazing and some of the best money I have spent. It reminded me of how I felt about that movie and how much I love that speech. I just read that apparently other countries don't quite care for the speech, they think it's jingoistic and apparently why the world hates us. It still gives me goosebumps. Take a look:



Sorry for any foreign readers, but remember when the aliens invade, we've got the weapons, okay? Anyway, the mid-movie sketch this time involved that famed speech. Luckily, someone else there made a video so I don't have to subject you to the crappy pictures I got off my cellphone and try to explain how freaking hilarious it was. The premise is that President Whitmore takes questions on the fight against the aliens and one is from Thomas Jefferson, who resents his usurping the Independence Day leitmotif in his speech. Thus, he delivers an alternate speech.



I guess if you thought the last speech was too pro-American you didn't much like this one either. I find it difficult to decide between the first and the second. Let me know if you remember anything about the time you saw Independence Day or the first time you saw a movie you saw in the theater on Turner Classic.

1 comment:

  1. You could transcribe the alternative speech, please? I don't know English. I'm using Google Translator...

    ReplyDelete