Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Paul Newman Retrospective: A New Kind of Love, 1963



Welcome to the third edition of the Paul Newman Retrospective. Obviously, one of the best known things about Paul Newman is his long marriage to actress, Joanne Woodward. They collaborated on a few projects together and this is one of my personal favorites and incidentally the first part of the first Joanne Woodward back-to-back. let me clarify. There are ten Newman-Woodward films and I don't want to bore you by doing them all in a row. So, my plan is to take one Woodward-Newman film from the good column, one from the bad and do them as a back-to-back. For those of you unfamiliar with basketball parlance, I will be doing two entries, one after the other.

So, let me start with a story about how this picture came to be taken from the pages of Shaun Levy's Paul Newman: A Life. Joanne Woodward read the script and loved it. She showed it to Paul and he said, "Well, I don't think it's fun. I don't think it's anything." Then Joanne said she had the idea that they could do the movie together to which Paul said, "No, you do it and I'll watch and clap soundlessly from the wings." Joanne, to Paul's recollection, because I'll give her the benefit of the doubt even though I feel this would be justified said, "You son of a bitch!... Here I've made my career subservient to yours, I've raised your family and not only my children, but your children from another marriage... and now when I ask you to make a movie with me, you tell me there's nothing in it for you!" Paul, apparently not being an idiot, decided to make the movie. Well done, Joanne.

A New Kind of Love is the story of a woman named Samantha, played by Woodward, who steals fashion designs from all the big designers to sell them in a cheaper department store. Samantha is thoroughly engrossed in her work, with no time or tolerance for love. Newman plays Steve Sherman, a newspaper columnist whose affair with the boss' wife gets him sent to Paris. Samantha is travelling to Paris with her colleagues, Leena, played by Thelma Ritter and Joe Bergner, played by George Tobias, so they can steal designs from the French fashion houses. They have the traditional meet-cute on the plane where Steve jokes around and Samantha gives him the number for Alcoholics Anonymous.

Steve hangs around in Paris, womanizing, columnizing and Samantha gets to work with the aid of Felicienne Courbeau played by Eva Gabor. This starts a subplot where Joe and Felicienne start a courtship much to Leena's chagrin. The best part of this is that instead of that turning into a catfight, the two women become friends, chagrined that they like each other. By the way, this movie has the essentials for a movie set in Paris and made in the 1950s or 1960s: one of the Gabors and Maurice Chevalier. One day, Samantha drinks too much, can't sleep and realizes that everyone in Paris is having fun and falling in love except her. She goes for a makeover and becomes quite the fashion plate. So much so that Steve meets her and mistakes her for a high class call girl. She doesn't try to dissuade him from this, in fact leading him on by sharing false tales of her romantic escapades within this great sports motif the movie uses. I could try to explain it, but you should just watch the movie. Two problems: Samantha is falling for Steve and doesn't know how long she can keep lying to him or how she can possibly get out of this. Secondly, Steve is falling for Samantha and doesn't like the idea of the woman he loves being a prostitute because as the Narcoleptic Argentinean in Moulin Rouge told us, "Never fall in love with a woman who sells herself. It always ends bad!" (Hey, they go to the Moulin Rouge in this movie,too.)Steve drags Samantha to the Cathedral of Notre Dame, to try and save her soul and she runs out screaming. It is brilliant. Later, Steve tracks Samantha down to her hotel where he meets Joe and Leena who explain that Samantha is not, in fact, a prostitute, which makes him angry. He tries to entrap her by going to her and offering to pay her for a night's services. She shocks him by accepting the terms. He eggs her on, taking her back to her apartment and thinking she'll crack before anything happens. Steve would be wrong in this instance, because you may recall, Steve is played by Paul Newman. So, we have that scene because I couldn't find the trailer. I know, fail.



Steve exposes Samantha and she explains that she was just going to sleep with him and not actually take the money, which he doesn't think is a big improvement. Okay, how is that fair? It resolves, as you may guess, happily.

Anyway, Paul Newman was never as comfortable in light comedy as he was in other projects and this is an instance of that. He's just too good an actor to be content doing the kind of fluff best left to, I don't know, Ashton Kutcher? Yeah, that works. Though I think if you put Ashton Kutcher opposite Joanne Woodward in the film, it would probably ruin it. Joanne Woodward is brilliant, though, and I'm so glad that she had the foresight to see the potential in this project. I find it remarkably fresh after a lifetime spent watching romantic comedies. It's got everything: Paris, fashion, makeover, a woman with a job, way before Sex and the City caught on to the formula. What do you think? Does this belong in my good column? Was the film ahead of its time? is the fashion awesome? Or am I completely wrong? Let me know in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. I've added it to my Netflix list, and I don't want to call it too early, but judging by the clip you posted I feel like this one needs to go in the good column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it goes in the good column, too, but I demand you come back here and tell me what you thought.

    ReplyDelete