Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Life In Movies Flashes Before My Eyes: The Hunt for Red October, 1990


This is seriously one of my favorite movies. I love it, I feel compelled to watch it in its entirety whenever it pops up on TV. I have tried to learn the Soviet National Anthem because of it and I have only made it through the first few lines. Probably something about not speaking Russian, not reading the Cyrillic alphabet and not being able to find a phonetic translation of it anywhere. The loss of the DVD to this film results in panic on my part and eventually led to my buying it on Amazon, where I wouldn't lose it. It is in my opinion the greatest submarine film ever made.

The film is directed by John McTiernan and is a taut thriller about a Soviet naval captain, Marko Ramius, played by Sean Connery who decides to defect with a new submarine that can run almost silently. Trouble is, the whole of the soviet and American navies and the North Atlantic are between him and his goal. The only man who's worked this out is Jack Ryan, played in this film by Alec Baldwin, who does a really good job with this. While I love Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan, I can't picture anyone but Baldwin in this film. The cast is rounded out with the greatest group of actors. Sam Neill is Ramius' first officer, Tim Curry is the Soviet physician who is hopelessly befuddled by the events of the film. On the American side, we have James Earl Jones as Ryan's CIA boss. Scott Glenn plays Bart Mancuso, the captain of the submarine that finds the Red October and Courtney B. Vance is great as his eccentric, but skilled Sonar technician. In there you also have Fred Thompson, Stellan Skarsgard and Gates McFadden (Doctor Crusher) as Ryan's wife. It is so cool.

Everything about this movie is great. The actors. The intertwining of Ryan and Ramius' stories as the plot heightens. The tension that still exists every time I watch it even though I clearly know what's going to happen. The music is great, heavily influenced by Soviet music. They manage to keep the look of the film dynamic even though about eighty percent of it takes place inside a boat. And they do something different with the language issue. Usually when you watch a movie like this, what you get is one cast speaking with Russian accents (I'm looking at you K-19). In this film, we start out with the actors speaking Russian and through the use of a character reading a passage from a book, they switch to English. When the Soviets meet up with the Americans, they speak Russian again. It's brilliant. I also love the way that no scene is one dimensional and usually have some layer of humor with them. I particularly love the scenes in the White House with the Soviet ambassador as they play a chess game of diplomacy.

Part of the brilliance of this film is in keeping the audience out of the loop on the conclusion and not telling us anything, letting us go along for the ride. apparently, studios had a hard time imagining the original Tom Clancy novel as a film, they thought it would be too complicated for audiences to figure out. Luckily, somebody at Paramount understood its potential. I also love the authenticity of the film, with real naval officers playing small parts and even Scott Glenn spent some time on a submarine learning how to command from a real naval captain. Also, I love the way this film isn't just a thriller, it involves you emotionally in the characters. The finale of this film is always such an intense ride for me, taking you from moments of humor to tears, all the while maintaining the intensity you need to deliver an ending that's worthy of the rest of this film.

Okay, comments, what is the greatest submarine film of all time if not this one? And did that film have its own video game? Also, does it seem short-sighted of the Soviets to have given James Bond his own submarine?

1 comment:

  1. Yes! LOVE this movie. Its one of the few I can watch more than once.

    ReplyDelete