Monday, July 25, 2011

My Life In Movies Flashes Before My Eyes:1992 Got Complicated: Patriot Games & Wayne's World

So, there has been a delay for which I apologize. You see, the year 1992 happened and it has been the most difficult year thus far. This year contains four personal favorites: Patriot Games, Wayne's World, The Last of the Mohicans and The Bodyguard, which I am a little ashamed to admit to. Okay, so that one was out. Then I pared away The Last of the Mohicans. Then I was still left with Patriot Games and Wayne's World.


So, Patriot Games is once again the story of Jack Ryan, this time played by Harrison Ford. He's on vacation in London when he thwarts an assassination attempt on the life of a member of the royal family led by Sean Bean and Polly Walker, more commonly known as Atia of the Julii from Rome. Other people miss Rome, right? It's not just me? Anyway, Harrison kills Sean's brother in the process and Sean decides to take revenge following him back to America.

Here is in my mind one of the greatest scenes in Patriot Games as Jack Ryan watches the operation he instigated carried out via satellite. Sorry about the quality.


I mean, this is the movie where I learned not to trust Sean Bean and so far that's paid off. In GoldenEye, in Lord of the Rings, I hear on Game of Thrones he may not be evil, but he's dead or something? I don't have HBO right now. It also features the stellar supporting cast with James Earl Jones, Samuel L. Jackson, Anne Archer and Richard Harris. Also, the final sequence is just great and tense and everything. It is everything an action film and a thriller should be.

Wayne's World is of course, the film based on the long running SNL sketch with Mike Myers and Dana Carvey, where they play Wayne and Garth and pursue their dream of getting to host their cable access show for money. It of course features the iconic scene featuring Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody:


I mean, how can you not be happy after that? I love everything about this movie, the way Wayne and Garth talk to the camera, Tia Carrere's cover of Ballroom Blitz, Ed O'Neill's crazy doughnut store manager, the way Wayne and Garth react when they meet Alice Cooper, Alice Cooper lecturing on the history of Milwaukee...


The three endings. The way the guy in the guitar shop tells Wayne "No Stairway." Robe Lowe's entire part. It's a film that doesn't fire for any particular reason, but manages to fire on all cylinders, it doesn't really have a dull part in it.

So, here we are, 1992 and I can't pick a film. So, Patriot Games or Wayne's World? Your opinions, please.

Again, am I the only one who misses Rome and especially Atia?

No comments:

Post a Comment