Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Life In Movies Flashes Before My Eyes: My Big Fat Greek Wedding, 2002


Okay, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, obviously, the most successful independent film of all time. It s written by and starring Nia Vardalos, obviously an icon of Greek female screenwriters the world over along with Tina Fey. I could be the only one trying to make this a group, but what do you want from me? I need role models. Vardalos wrote this screenplay, then performed a one woman show based on it, which another Greek woman called Rita Wilson went to see. She's married to someone called Tom Hanks, who's this guy who does stuff... Anyway, they made the movie, it made millions and was awesome.


The story is classic and that's why it works. Vardalos plays Toula, a thirty year old Greek woman who works at the family restaurant and has failed in the eyes of her family because she remains unmarried. Toula knows her life sucks, but isn't sure how to change it until she decides to take some computer classes and this kicks off her transformation as she trades up to contact lenses, a more polished wardrobe and miraculously non-frizzy Greek hair. This isn't a plot point or anything, I, having similarly textured hair, wonder what product she is using. No, really, tell me. She also meets a guy played by John Corbett and falls in love. Conflict arises when it is discovered he is not Greek and also- gasp- vegetarian.

By the way, ever taken anyone who is a vegetarian and doesn't eat cheese to a Greek restaurant? The waitress will be confused. So confused.

Anyway, the best part of this movie is the family, which Vardalos bases on her own and that's why it works, that's why it was such a success. I love Toula's mom and aunt, I could probably watch two hours of them just talking. I love the stuff with her brother and cousin ganging up on Ian as well. Ian's WASP parents are hilarious, too, as they consume more and more Ouzo, falling deeper into the rabbit hole that is Toula's family.

The film is basically Toula's evolution and I don't just mean the hair thing. She goes from seeing her family as a weight on her shoulders to people who love her and want the best for her, but they can only do that if she takes the first step. She finally realizes what was holding her back wasn't being Greek but herself, which is a good lesson for us all.

My own personal tip is to never watch this movie hungry. The first time I saw it was my twentieth birthday, I went with a big group of my friends after a trip to one of my favorite places in AtlantaAthens Pizza House on Clairmont Road. Seriously, I got recognized on sight I was there so much. It wasn't that different from the diner Toula's family owns in the movie, Mom clearly ran the place, an assortment of Greek waitstaff and so much delicious food. Anyway, after a birthday dinner of Moussaka (which is my personal favorite as well as being featured in the film. Personally, if someone would like to put it in my lunchbox, I am all for it) and probably dessert (Kataifi is my favorite) I went to this movie and was still hungry, a process repeated every time I watch this movie. Is that just me? The Greek food craving is just too much.

Questions, comments? Favorite Greek foods? Mine include all of them, I have yet to find something at the Greek restaurant I don't like. Let me know in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment