Monday, August 29, 2011

My Life In Movies Flashes Before My Eyes: Mean Girls, 2004



Many films attempt to show us the attractiveness of evil, rarely do they do it in quite such a way as Mean Girls, my favorite film of 2004 and scripted by my other favorite Greek screenwriter Tina Fey. It follows Cady Heron, played by a pre-everything Lindsay Lohan, as she moves from the jungles of Africa to the jungles of a suburban Chicago high school.


Cady falls in with a group of girls called the Plastics, who are just like every other high school girl from hell you've ever met. She works with her new friends at the school to sabotage their leader and her popularity. I think what Fey captures best about these girls is that as much as you might hate the Plastics, you want to be them and you want to be liked by them, expressed through the great scenes of everyone copying Regina George's look, no matter how ridiculous.


Underlying it all is a thick layer of hatred between the girls, best expressed through my favorite speech in the film by Gretchen.


Fey appears as Cady's math teacher in the film, and other Saturday Night Live Alumni appear including Amy Poehler, Ana Gasteyer and Tim Meadows. Hilariously and unlike in real life, the below the surface tension finally erupts into an all out girl riot, leading to Tim Meadows as the principal to say this:


Anyway, favorite movie of 2004. Teen movie that actually has some intelligence, I love Tina Fey, Tina Fey is awesome. Questions, comments, concerns? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment