Saturday, August 13, 2011

My Life In Movies Flashes Before My Eyes: Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, 1997


I decided to let Mike Myers win this year because he just keeps losing to Harrison Ford. I mean, I'm still upset about Shrek 4, what the hell did we need that for? That's the kind of crap you pull on an episode of Star Trek, you can't sustain that for two hours. Okay, so Austin Powers is about a spy with bad teeth and an ungodly amount of chest hair. He has a nemesis, Doctor Evil, who freezes himself so he can come back and have a better shot at world domination. So, Austin freezes himself in 1967, comes back in 1997 and finds that the world has changed. Like a lot. The film follows him as he teams up with his new partner, Vanessa Kensington, played by Elizabeth Hurley, who is really great in this film and so much better than just a model who's in a movie. She's not afraid to be nerdy or uncool. This is also clearly not the most intellectual film I have ever chosen for this, but I like it anyway.

One of the best parts of the film is the way it follows the relationship of Doctor Evil and his son, Scott, played brilliantly by Seth Green, as they attempt to have a relationship.



I also love the way the film uses the tropes of the spy genre to create humor in the film. Witness Doctor Evil try to come up with an evil plan, not knowing the events of the previous thirty years.


Mike Myers' own love of the James Bond series really translates here, with some silliness and the trademark absurdity of Wayne's World thrown in. This movie is so funny the deleted scenes are worth showing. For example, have you ever wondered what happens to the henchman's family when he gets killed?


By the way, does anybody know why in movies the henchmen always keep fighting the hero after their boss is dead? I mean, if I was a henchman and I was fighting James Bond and my boss died, so I wasn't go to get paid, I would just leave. Questions, comments, concerns? You know where they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment